You ever see that paparazzi pic of a model or actress as they are strolling through the airport. How do they always look so chic? The airport is filled with so many obstacles. There are bomb-sniffing dogs, fancy metal decectors, children, security guards on golf carts, moving sidewalks, baggage checks, etc…… Not really a place were you can try out your cute new heels.
No matter your destination, you must dress comfortably for your travel days. I’m not saying pull out the old sweats and tee shirt because you never know who you will run into at the airport. Also, when you are stylishly dressed, you just may have the chance of being bumped up to first class :).
How do you balance style and comfort when flying…. Here are my picks for comfy, yet stylish pieces for lounging in the sky:
- Black leggings – Tried and true. A good pair of black leggings are so versatile. I emphasize “good” pair. I’m not talking about that $5 pair you picked up at a kiosk in the mall. I’m talking about a good pair made of a cotton blend that is thick enough that don’t show panties with every move. I love my pair by Vince here. I also love NY & Company for good deals.
2. Flowy Top – Now, I said flowy, not sloppy. Also, leggings are not meant to be worn with a short shirt. Let’s cover those butts! 🙂 Isn’t this one from ASOS so cute? ASOS has tons of great basics and they are pretty affordable. You are welcome 🙂
3. Big Scarf – I like to carry a big scarf because it’s always chilly on flights and I can use a big scarf for a blanket.
4. Fluffy socks – If you need to settle in for a long-haul flight, I suggest bringing some fluffy socks. Its not too fun to sit in shoes for 10 hours and the fluffy socks will keep your feet cozy and warm. Why not get some oil infused socks like these to keep your pedi fresh.
5. Headphones – I prefer a noise cancelling pair. But, what ever style you like, you will be more comfortable with your own pair than the freebies on the flight.
6. Shoes – I never recommend wearing heels to the airport. I always end up walking (or running) to a gate that seems to be about 5 miles away from where I am. Comfort is key in the shoe department when traveling as far as I’m concerned. I suggest something that is easy to take off and put on like a loafer, oxford or ballet flat. I’m really loving oxfords these days. They just look so comfortable , but still has a chic style. Getting through security means you may not even want to deal with shoelaces, so think about that when deciding on shoes.
7. Carry-on bag – This is the item that will elevate your look and pull it all together. Invest in a bag that you can not only use for carry on essentials, but you can use it for everyday as well. I like the tote style because you can fit so many things in there and use smaller cosmetic bags for organization. I am currently loving my Tory Burch Kerrington Stripe tote and it makes a for a perfect carry on to pack flight essentials. It is currently sold out, but other favorites are here and here.